This is a knock-off of Marie Callender’s Potato Cheese Soup. It’s a lot easier than you might think and AMAZINGLY delicious!
Heat a couple tablespoons of oil on medium heat in the bottom of a large saucepan or dutch oven. Add the diced onion & celery. Stir occasionally. Cook until soft & fragrant, about 5 minutes.
Add the diced potatoes, about 4 cups. This picture shows unpeeled baby creamers (you can’t peel them, they’re way too small). I have also used unpeeled diced red potatoes. I made it at work today for my coworkers and used 6 peeled Russet potatoes, so you can basically use what you have on hand & it will still come out amazing!
Pour enough chicken stock in the pot just to cover the top of the veggies. This could be anywhere from 2-4 cups. Cover & continue cooking on medium until all the veggies are soft enough to be pierced easily with a fork, about 15-20 minutes.
Now you can either mash everything with a potato masher, or use the immersion blender to blend the soup. I have made this many times over the last couple years & will use the potato masher if I used peeled potatoes. I will use the immersion blender if I used unpeeled potatoes, because no one wants a piece of unsightly potato skin floating around their soup.
Add the shredded cheese, half & half & butter. Stir continuously until thoroughly blended & cheeses & butter are melted. Season with garlic pepper, paprika, oregano & sea salt. Serve with garlic bread & enjoy!!
Potato Cheese Soup
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 4 cups diced potatoes If using baby creamers, don’t peel. If using Russet or that type of larger baking potato, peel them. If using red potatoes, you can decide if you want to peel or just dice them.
- 2-4 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups half & half
- 4 cups medium cheddar, shredded
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp sea salt or garlic salt
- 2 tsp black pepper or garlic pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- Heat oil over medium heat. Add onions & celery, stirring occasionally. Cook until soft & fragrant, about 5 minutes.
- Add diced potatoes to the pot. Pour in chicken stock just until all the vegetables are covered. Cover & cook over medium heat for 15-20 minutes, or until the vegetables can be easily pierced with a fork.
- Remove the pot from the heat. Now either mash with a potato masher or use an immersion blender to blend up the soup. (I use the masher if the potatoes were peeled and the immersion blender if the potatoes weren’t peeled.)
- Return to low heat. Pour in the half & half, shredded cheese, & butter. Stir until everything is mixed well, and the cheese & butter are melted. Add seasonings. Serve with garlic bread & listen to the rave reviews from your dinner guests & family.